As a responsible corporate citizen, we recognize that we have a duty to continually strive to lessen the impact our activities may have on the environment.
Measure and Manage
We are committed to being a good steward of the natural resources and biodiversity under our influence and to ensuring the potential adverse impacts of our operations on the environment are identified and appropriately managed. Now is the time we should be striving to make a difference; it is in our commercial and personal interests to do so. The environmental initiatives we are investing in today are designed to build core competencies that we anticipate will, in future, become core requirements from our customers, investors and other stake holders.
Water resource management continues to be a focus of our bottling facilities as water is not only an essential ingredient in our products, but a medium for maintaining high product quality and hygiene.
- Usage Reduction and Conservation
Water conservation measures which include reuse of water for non-sanitary purposes, associate awareness programs, and investing in new technology have helped us decrease our per-unit water usage by over 19 percent, saving 99 million gallons in the past 3 years.
- Water Stewardship
Watershed analysis and risk assessment plans developed performed for our Fruitland, Idaho facility
Participation in community water restoration projects in the communities we operate.
It is a priority for Swire Coca-Cola to both measure our greenhouse gas emissions and work to reduce them.
- Cold Drink Equipment
Energy management systems are being retrofitted on our vending machines which reduce energy usage by up to 35 percent.
- Facilities and Bottling Plants
- 12 percent reduction in company energy usage during the past 3 years which has resulted in the elimination of 3,300 metric tons of greenhouse gas emissions annually.
- Upgrades to high efficiency lighting systems in our offices and warehouses have reduced our annual electrical usage by up to 35 percent
- Our fleet consists of 83 Hybrid vehicles
- Utilization of natural gas powered trucks and forklifts
- Optimizing delivery routes to reduce our fleet CO2 emissions
- Implementation of "no idle" policies
- Installation of governors to limit vehicle speeds, which has decreased annual CO2 emissions by over 1,100 metric tons annually
- Carbon offset program for airline travel
At Swire we focus first on reducing the amount of waste we generate and then reusing or recycling that waste. When we do generate waste we follow stringent rules to assure it is disposed in the most environmentally friendly manner and in compliance with all regulatory requirements.
Over the years, we have been reducing the unit weight of our packages while maintaining our product quality. Our beverage containers are 7-30 percent lighter than those used in 2004 and certain containers are now composed of 30 percent plant based material.
We continually search for new and innovative ideas for reusing materials generated in our manufacturing and distribution process. One such initiative is the use of plastic reusable shells for delivery of many of our products. In addition, 55-gallon syrup barrels are utilized both for recycling bins and donated to the public.
We have an internal focus on the total amount of waste generated as well as the amount of material we recycle. Our internal recycling rates are in excess of 89 percent.
Some of the materials we recycle
- Electronic equipment
The Recycling Coalition of Utah
2008 State of Utah Meritorious Pollution Prevention Award
2009 State of Utah Pollution Prevention Award for Outstanding Achievement